As mobile views continued to grow, and mobile devices cracked the top 10 of my Analytics, it became clear that a Flash portfolio slideshow was becoming a liability.
Having a clear vision of what I wanted - scaling images, with an overflowing slider as opposed to crossfades - I was able to start breaking down how such a thing could possibly come together. In this process, I became aware of jQuery, and quickly realized that it would provide the ease of use that I, a first timer, would need to get this done.
I started by coding out the image scaling logic, which I eventually split off into my scaleImages plugin. This solved a problem which to this day is widespread amongst photographers - images that are in no way optimized for the viewport size. It was much worse then, with no to very little support for modern features that can help this situation - media queries, vw and vh, calc, etc.
The last problem was, unsurprisingly, image size. There was no srcset, and loading 100+ images large enough to fill large laptop displays would create a ton of lag until the images finished loading. I eventually added lazy loading, loading the minimum number of images necessary.